According to a Feb. 23 Reuters news report, one person died and 27 were hospitalized as the result of a carbon monoxide leak at a mall on Long Island. The report states that a malfunctioning pipe caused the deadly leak.
New York, N.Y (PRWEB) April 11, 2014
A broken water heater flue pipe inside a restaurant was the cause of a carbon monoxide leak at a Long Island mall that killed one person and left at least 27 sickened. A Feb. 23 Reuters news report states that the faulty pipe had allowed the buildup of lethal carbon monoxide gas on Feb. 22 in the basement of the Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington Station, which is about 40 miles east of New York City.
Police and emergency personnel were called to the restaurant the evening of Feb. 22 after reports that a worker had passed out and fallen down stairs, the report said. The 55-year-old restaurant manager had died of cardiac arrest as he was being transported by ambulance to the local hospital, the article states. Also, 27 other people including restaurant workers, ambulance personnel and police officers were transported to area hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries, the report stated.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause sudden illness or death. This gas is commonly found in combustion fumes, small gas engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, gas ranges and heating systems, the CDC states. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, lightheadedness and confusion, according to the agencys website.
Carbon monoxide illnesses and fatalities can be prevented by installing carbon monoxide detectors in buildings, says New York personal injury lawyer Kenneth A. Wilhelm. “Whether you live in an apartment, a single-family home or whether you own a business, please make sure that you have carbon monoxide detectors in the building whether or not your citys code requires it. These inexpensive devices save lives.”
Wilhelm also offers a number of tips to help prevent these types of tragedies:
Make sure that your heating systems and appliances are serviced and inspected by a qualified technician every year.
Install a battery-operated or battery back-up carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.
If the detector goes off, leave your home immediately and call 911.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed or nauseous, get help right away.
Never use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove or other gas-burning device indoors.
Do not run a car or truck inside a garage even if you leave the door open.
Never heat your home with a gas oven.
About the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm
The Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm is a personal injury litigation firm with an unwavering dedication to its clients. With more than 42 years of experience, our firm strives to obtain the best compensation for those who have been injured or those who have lost a loved one due to an accident or by someone elses negligence. We handle cases dealing with personal injury, medical malpractice, wrongful death, train accidents, workers compensation, dental malpractice, motor vehicle accidents, pedestrian accidents, rape, paralysis, comas, seizures, false arrest, lead poisoning, trips and slips and falls, falls on sidewalks or stairs, elevator accidents, construction accidents, Erbs palsy, cerebral palsy, brain damage, blindness, hearing loss, dog bite cases, fire and smoke inhalation accidents, bicycle accidents, falls from windows or scaffolds, food poisoning injuries, and many other types of accidents and injuries.
Please contact our New York personal injury attorneys TOLL FREE 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-WORK-4-YOU (1-800-967-5496). WE CAN EVEN COME TO YOU. There is no attorneys fee unless we recover money for you. We can also help with personal injury cases in New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, or Florida. If you have been seriously injured in any of the 50 U.S. states, please call us and we will try to help you with your case.
Other TOLL FREE phone numbers for us are:
1-800-RADIO-LAW, 1-888-WYPADEK, OR 1-800-LAS-LEYES
The Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm
445 Park Ave, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10022
Please visit us at: http://www.WORK4YOULAW.com
Support This Blog By Visiting Sponsor Link on the subject of Pinnacle Sports -
« previous postHorseshoe Bend Arizona (Explored)
A number Stylish horseshoe Pix Horseshoe Bend Arizona (Explored) Image by Glyn Lowe Photoworks. Horseshoe Bend is the name for a horseshoe-shaped meander of the Colorado River located near the town of Page, Arizona, in the United States. The bend is locally known as "King ...
next post »Improve Acne Quickly With This Grea....
Make sure to get a lot of sleep. Whenever you get sleep reduce the amount of stress on your skin. This reduces the amount of blockage in your pores and decreases the amount of blackheads you will get. It also decreases the amount of breakouts you will get. If you deal with facial acne on a regular b...
12 Responses to “Faulty Pipe Causes Deadly Carbon Monoxide Leak: New York Personal Injury Lawyer Kenneth A. Wilhelm Comments”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
No trackbacks yet.
Posts with similar tags
Posts in similar categories
About Me Sample Title
This is a sample text about you. You may login and go to the Finojaho settings page and edit this text. Here you can display a summary of your website or anything that is interesting to your visitors. You also can disable this section completely. You have full control thru the settings page.